Comments from Tyler Toffoli after his NHL debut in the Kings 5-2 win over the visiting San Jose Sharks…
– On playing his first game: “I didn’t want to relax at all, I just wanted to keep going and play the best game of my life. Knowing that’s going to be the only first game in the NHL that I’m ever going to play. So it was a lot of fun, I think I played well, and hopefully there’s many more to come.”
– On what Sutter and Bernier said to him after the penalty on the back-check: “They just said it was good back-check. I mean, they got a penalty shot; good thing Bernie saved it. It was just a good back-check, and after that things just kind of went a little more smooth, and I played more simple. I played a good game.”
– On his shots: “I should have buried at least two. Jitters kind of got me a bit. I was gripping the stick a little tight, but hopefully next time I can bear down.”
– On if he was able to do what he normally does on the ice: “Yeah, definitely. I mean like I said, I should have had two or three goals there. Unfortunately, I didn’t score, but I just gotta bare down next time. Hopefully I can score a goal next time.”
– On if he felt more comfortable each period: “Yeah, definitely as the game went on, the more I played; I felt more comfortable. Got more chances and was battling well for the puck. So the more I played, the more comfortable I felt.”
– On the communication on the ice with the line: “Oh, it was awesome! I was just reading off of them. Obviously they’re great players. They know where to go. So wherever the open ice was, I was just going to…I mean look at Cart’s pass to me in the first period there. He was going to the puck and I just went to the open Ice, and he put it right on my stick.”
– On if he ever thought his first NHL game would be on a line with Jeff Carter and Mike Richards: “Never would have believed it.”
– On if San Jose’s size was difficult to play against: “They’re big guys, but I’m used to playing agains big guys down in Manch. It was a good experience, and like I said, hopefully there’s many more to come.”
– On if he would have buried those shots had be been able to get in his usual pre-game meal at Olive Garden: “You never know.” (Laughs)
RELATED CONTENT: Doughty post-game, talks if he’ll ever score
Note to webmasters/reporters: When recapping news or interviews from this site please include a link to www.MayorsManor.com
Mike Thornburg says
I will take that kid’s hustle on that backcheck and take that penalty every single time. I said before the game he can have a ridiculous amount of chances, but what will keep him in the game is his defensive effort.. the kid has some defensive chops. I look forward to him being in a Kings uniform for a long time to come. He is fun as hell to watch.
Loved this guy’s hustle tonight. He did very well on both ends of the ice. A couple times I saw him from the other end of the ice and come up into the defensive zone for a great back check. One led to a penalty shot and I don’t know what the statistic is, but I feel like more often than not, they don’t go in.
I look forward to seeing more good effort by the whole team tomorrow night
Nice interview. I’m looking forward to more of Toffoli.