Although we talk a lot about West Coast Bias around here, tonight brings the occasional glimpse into the other side of life, as the Buffalo Sabres make their lone appearance of the season at Staples Center. To get you ready, we have a few tidbits that will make you sound smart when talking to the person next to you – regardless of if that’s in the stands, at a bar, or even at home in front of the TV…
Five Things You May Not Have Known about the Buffalo Sabres:
1. Matt Moulson is the brother-in-law of Kings goalie Jonathan Quick. He was also a 4th round draft pick of the Rochester Knighthawks of the National Lacrosse League (NLL).
2. Nic Deslauriers was a 3rd round (84th overall) draft pick by the Los Angeles Kings in the 2009 NHL Draft. He wore number 10 in his junior hockey playing days in honor of his childhood hero, Guy Lafleur of the Montreal Canadiens.
3. Sabres coach, Ted Nolan, played in 78 NHL games with the Detroit Red Wings and Pittsburgh Penguins scoring six goals, 16 assists and totaling 105 penalty minutes.
4. Brian Gionta’s 48 goals in the 2005-06 season, while playing for New Jersey, still ranks as the most goals in one season by a Devils player. At 5-foot-7, only the Carolina Hurricane’s, Nathan Gerbe (5-foot-5) is shorter.
5. Despite being undrafted, defenseman Josh Gorges is playing in his 11th NHL season.
Note to webmasters/reporters: When recapping news or interviews from this site please remember to include a link to www.MayorsManor.com