We’re half way home. Three days of training camp are already in the books and after just three more it will be time to close up shop. Somewhat crazy when you think about it – seems like just yesterday we were stuck in the middle of a four month holding pattern. Now things are moving along at a break-neck pace.
Regardless of the monotony that can set in at hockey practice sometimes, Kings coach Darryl Sutter always seems to find a way to deliver. Just when you think he’s not giving you much – BOOM – the perfect gem of a quote.
So, let’s pause for a moment and look back at 10 of his better answers this week…
10. Is Bernie Nicholls coming back? – “Bernie is going to be around. I’m not sure when and how much and all that. He’s probably somewhere hunting right now.”
9. What was the layoff like for you up in Canada? – “It wasn’t a layoff. On the farm we work for a living – every day.”
8. Will Mike Richards center the top line if Anze Kopitar misses the start of the season? – “I don’t know who the top line is. Mike Richards didn’t play on the top line? I don’t think you win the Stanley Cup with one top line do you?”
7. Do you approach this differently with a championship team as opposed to the one you took over last year? – “Not really. I know that everybody starts at zero on Saturday so that should be the way you should look at it.”
6. Kopitar just skated for the first time, with little discomfort. That’s gotta be encouraging. – “So what do you want me to say? You talked to him before I did.”
5. Does it matter that you enter the season as the defending champions or is it a completely clean slate? – “… it doesn’t matter. They don’t give you five wins to start the year or 15 points. It’s not one of those things where you get extra home games or seeds or anything like that.”
4. Will 48 games be enough for the Kings to regain their stride? – “If it takes 48 games to get to our stride, then that’s all it will be – is 48 games.”
3. How good did it feel to be back on the ice with the players? – “It feels good to be back, that’s why you coach, right? Not just to watch, but to be out there, right? But it’s tough on an old guy putting your skates back on right. It’s like breaking in new cowboy boots.”
2. How much time did you spend scouting Tyler Toffoli during the lockout? – “…You don’t need my diary.”
1. Do you have any words for the fans now that the lockout is over? – “Yeah, we’re back!”
Never change coach. Never change.
Note to webmasters/reporters: When recapping news or interviews from this site please include a link to www.MayorsManor.com