The NHL lockout has created several storylines – including players like Anze Kopitar heading over to Sweden and the immediate future of many Kings prospects being put into question. We’ll tackle the latter topic right at the onset of today’s interview with Jake Muzzin. Will he be starting the season in Manchester or will he be sitting on the sidelines until the NHL labor dispute is resolved?
Muzzin, who MayorsManor rated as the top defensive prospect in the Kings system, joined the franchise after signing a free agent contract in January 2010. He had previously been drafted by Pittsburgh, but never signed a contract with the Penguins after having back surgery.
He had a small taste of the NHL in the fall of 2010, getting into 11 games for the Kings. Now, after spending two seasons in the AHL, he’s poised for a bright future. Standing 6-foot-3, Muzzin brings a good blend of offense and defense – think of him as younger Willie Mitchell.
On today’s show we’ll also cover topics like:
– His stats and what to make of them
– The neck injury he suffered last year during training camp
– The challenges and disadvantages of playing for the Soo Greyhounds in the OHL
– Being roommates with Jordan Nolan and Dwight King
– Going to Nolan’s Stanley Cup party this summer
– Being teammates with Ray Kaunisto
– Practicing with the Black Aces during the playoffs
– Muzzin vs Thomas Hickey
– Recent comments from Martin Jones
– Other Kings prospects – including Tyler Toffolli, Branodon Kozun, Nick Deslauriers, etc.
– We’ll play Word Association and much more
Give it a listen…
NOTE: If you’re on an ipad or iphone, click here to listen to the show.
We’ll continue to provide conversations with other LA Kings players and hockey related personalities throughout the lockout. Until next time, be sure to check out our show archives – where you can hear stuff with Alec Martinez, Kevin Westgarth, Colin Fraser and many others. Click here to see the full list.
[…] he talks about taking over as the number-one goalie in Manchester this season) and Muzzin (linked here). The latter was especially entertaining as the highly talented defenseman talked at length about […]