The NHL schedule makers wasted no time getting this season’s two-game set between the Kings and Hurricanes out of the way. Carolina hosted the initial meeting a few weeks ago and came away 3-2 winners. Now, the clubs will meet up in downtown LA this evening to finish things off. Before they meet on the ice, here are five notes that just might make you sound smart while watching all the action with a friend or loved one tonight… or even at a sports bar talking to strangers…
Five Things You May Not Have Known about the Carolina Hurricanes:
1. Alexander Semin, pictured, who signed a 5-year, $35-million contract this past off-season has zero goals and only five assists. He’s also a minus-7 this season. Further, his 17 shots on goal rank him ninth among Carolina forwards.
2. Hurricanes defensemen, Tim Gleason and John Michael Liles, who recently found themselves as blueline partners were traded for each other on January 1, 2014. Liles, a member of the Maple Leafs at the time, was about to play in the Winter Classic (Toronto vs. Detroit), but was traded prior to the start of the game to Carolina. Then, Gleason re-signed with Carolina this past off-season.
3. After losing their first eight games to start the season, the Hurricanes have won six of their last 10 and have earned points in seven of their last 10.
4. Only Florida (35) and Buffalo (34) have scored fewer goals this season than the 43 goals scored by the Hurricanes.
5. Current Hurricanes General Manager, Ron Francis and his 1,798 points ranks 4th all time on the NHL points list.
What might happen Tuesday night? These odds, supplied by MayorsManor and Jim ‘Boomer’ Gordon of NHL Network Radio, are a great place to start. They came up with several interesting points.
Note to webmasters/reporters: When recapping news or interviews from this site please remember to include a link to www.MayorsManor.com