With the Kings winless in their two games at opposite ends of Pennsylvania, they’re now set to take on the Red Wings at the famed Joe Louis Arena. Before they drop the puck in Detroit, we have a few tidbits that will make you sound smart while watching the action on TV or hanging out at a sports bar somewhere…
Five Things You May Not Have Known about the Detroit Red Wings:
1. Henrik Zetterberg was selected in the 7th round, 210th overall by the Detroit Red Wings in 1999. At age 17 he served in the Swedish Army as part of the countries Conscription Policy.
2. Coach Mike Babcock has the distinction of being the only coach to win a Stanley Cup, Olympic Gold and an IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship.
3. Gustav Nyquist led the Maine Blackbears (2008-11) in each of his three seasons at the school. He finished with 144 points (50 goals, 94 assists) in 113 games played. In 2010 he was a Hobey Baker Award finalist.
4. Justin Abdelkader scored the game-winning goal for Michigan State in the National Championship game versus Boston College (2007). His goal with 18.9 seconds left in regulation is the latest goal scored in regulation to win an NCAA hockey championship.
5. Pavel Datsyuk was selected 171st overall by the Detroit Red Wings in 1998. The sixth round pick has gone on to score 809 points in his 828 NHL games played thus far.
Note to webmasters/reporters: When recapping news or interviews from this site please remember to include a link to www.MayorsManor.com