Anze Kopitar was aboard the Kings morning flight to Philadelphia, but it remains to be seen if he will play on Tuesday night vs. the Flyers. Until then, we have a few tidbits that will make you sound smart when talking to the person next to you – regardless of if that’s in the stands, at a bar, or even at home in front of the TV…
Five Things You May Not Have Known about the Philadelphia Flyers:
1. Brothers Luke and Brayden Schenn were both selected in the first round of the NHL Draft. In fact, nine of the 22 players on the Flyers current roster are former first round draft picks:
Vinny Lecavalier/1st overall (1998)
R.J. Umberger/16th overall (2001)
Brayden Coburn/8th overall (2003)
Claude Giroux/22nd overall (2006)
Jakub Voracek/7th overall (2007)
Michael Del Zotto/20th overall (2008)
Luke Schenn/5th overall (2008)
Brayden Schenn/5th overall (2009)
Sean Couturier/8th overall (2011)
2. Wayne Simmonds, the former roommate of Drew Doughty, never scored more than 16 goals in a season as a member of the Los Angeles Kings. However, in his two full seasons in Philadelphia he has scored 28 and 29 goals and in the lockout shortened 2012/13 season he was on pace for 27 goals.
3. Vinny Lecavalier is in his 16th NHL season. He has scored 20 or more goals in 13 of his 15 previous campaigns and he has had five or more seasons with 30 or more goals, including a league-leading 52 goals in 2006-07.
4. Pierre-Edouard Bellemare, a 29-year-old rookie from France. played the six previous seasons in Sweden. He scored his first and only NHL goal to date on October 22, 2014 at Pittsburgh.
5. He’s now a member of the Kings, yes… But, while Jeff Carter was with the Flyers, the talented forward formed a friendship with NASCAR’s Kevin Harvick (pictured above) – a relationship that is still strong to this day.
Note to webmasters/reporters: When recapping news or interviews from this site please remember to include a link to www.MayorsManor.com