Following the Kings practice in El Segundo today, which lasted well more than an hour, we had a chance to sit down for a little one-on-one time with rookie Tyler Toffoli. Here’s what he had to share…
– On the difficulty of being sent down and then getting called right back up: “All year it’s just kind of been pretty crazy. All the guys who came up right after the lockout left, and obviously I took a way bigger role in Manch. And then, getting called up was a lot of fun. They told me I was going down to play the games, and they didn’t tell my how long I was going to be there. So I just went there. I showed up at the rink and they told me to come up. I had no clue. So, it’s good to be back and back in the line-up.”
– On what the Kings told him they expected from him when he went back to Manchester: “They just told me to go play, play well, shoot the puck, get lots of chances, and pretty much just do what I was doing all year.”
– On the rumored move to left wing: “You know what? Wherever they put me, I’m just going to go out and play, and play my best. Honestly. you have to do whatever you can to get in the line-up. And I’m learning, this year especially. It’s been a great year. It’s my first year pro, and I’m playing in the NHL. So there’s nothing more I can ask for right now.”
– On the biggest adjustments coming from the AHL to the NHL: “It has to be the board play. In our zone when the puck gets in, their D-man’s pinching, you have guys coming behind you. It’s a lot of pressure trying to get the puck out to centermen or wide side. I’m still adjusting to it, and trying to get better every day about it.”
– On which player he’s sought out the most as a mentor: “It’s been a lot of guys. Everybody’s been really good. When I wasn’t playing, I was obviously talking to Fraz (Colin Fraser) a lot. He’s just been telling me to stay with it. He went through the same thing, or a similar thing, when he was in Chicago and they won the Cup. He was kind of in and out, and he just said to stay with it and keep working hard. And that’s what I’m doing here. When I went back down to Manch for a couple days there, I was just trying to play hard and take the season all in.”
RELATED CONTENT: Kings 2013 Top 10 Prospects
Note to webmasters/reporters: When recapping news or interviews from this site please include a link to www.MayorsManor.com
Either “You Know what?” Is a Canadian thing or he’s been having lots of conversations with Sutter…
Tyler’s got skills. He’s going to score a lot of goals. Hopefully he keeps that attitude.
David Chapman says
Great attitude! I think I’m going to love rooting for this guy.