The Kings held an optional morning skate today in advance of their match-up with the Blue Jackets tonight at Staples Center. Here here are some brief pre-game notes…
– Earlier in the week, coach Darryl Sutter said he hadn’t thought about which goaltender would start vs. Columbus – while complementing Jonathan Bernier and noting he needed more from Jonathan Quick. Now, it looks like the verdict is in. Bernier was the first goalie off the ice at the skate, suggesting he’ll be in net when the puck drops tonight.
– Bernier has faced the Blue Jackets twice in his career, holding a 1-1 record and a 2.53 goals-against average. Both games were played in Ohio, with the loss coming in March 2012 and the win in March 2011.
– UPDATE: Bernier to start and Quick understands the situation, story here.
– Sergei Bobrovsky will start in goal for the Blue Jackets. He’s only faced the Kings once prior in his career, recording a 1-0 loss at Staples Center in February 2011 when he was a member of the Philadelphia Flyers.
– Rookie Jake Muzzin will replace the injured Alec Martinez on defense for the Kings. Of course, Martinez was placed on IR yesterday and isn’t expected back in the line-up until February 23rd at the earliest.
– LA’s line combinations for the forwards will remain unchanged from Monday’s game vs. St. Louis.
– While not official just yet, it doesn’t look like James Wisniewski will play for Columbus. He didn’t travel with the team, staying behind due to the impending birth of a child.
– Blue Jackets right wing Cam Atkinson will definitely not play, out with a high-ankle sprain.
– Jeff Carter told us he really wants to beat the Blue Jackets and talked about his hot start here.
– Drew Doughty really isn’t happy with some of his stats.
– Word Association: Dustin Penner and others take on four members of the Blue Jackets roster.
– Our MayorsManor Live Radio preview of LA vs CBJ with Aaron Portzline, filled with great stories about Carter, Mike Richards, Jack Johnson and Brandon Dubinsky. Plus a few funny truths are revealed. It’s a must listen.
– Look for out First Goal Contest to be posted soon. Enter to win a great prize.
Note to webmasters/reporters: When recapping news or interviews from this site please include a link to www.MayorsManor.com
[…] RELATED CONTENT: Friday morning notes – Kings’ starting goalie and other pre-game notes […]
[…] there’s the defensemen too, which will include the return of Jake Muzzin tonight, subbing for an injured Alec […]
[…] with the defensemen, rookie Jake Muzzin might be somebody to keep an eye […]