Heavy Metal and hockey, they go together like – well, everything and hockey!
Brian Slagel’s Metal Blade Records is currently celebrating 30 years or serving the music scene and during those same three decades the other constant in his life has been a passion for hockey. While it doesn’t grab the headlines the same way helping launch Metallica does, he owns over 2,000 jerseys and had season tickets at the Forum back in the early ’80s. So, like many of the bands on his label, Slagel has paid his dues through some pretty lean years.
Not only did he get to enjoy the high-powered offense of players like Wayne Gretzky, Luc Robitaille and Bernie Nicholls, he also remembers Roman Vopat, Jeff Shevalier and Pavel Rosa.
Today on the MayorsManor show we’ll chat (and possibly argue) plenty with Slagel about hockey and music, including some of these topics…
– The early years of Metal Blade, including his relationship with Metallica
– Ratt, Cinderella, Poison, KISS, Guns N Roses and other bands
– His favorite memories from the Forum
– Owning a hockey team and eventually becoming partners with the league
– Hockey fights
– Favorite and least favorite hockey arenas in North America
– His insane collection of game used jerseys
– Which NHL teams have the best and worst logos?
– Mighty Ducks 2 vs Slap Shot
– Questions from fans ans so much more
This is gonna be good…
NOTE: If you’re on an ipad, iphone or non-Flash device, click here to listen to today’s episode.
Be sure to check out some of our other recent guests:
MayorsManor Live Radio with Fred Coury of Cinderella
MayorsManor Stand-up Comedy Radio with Matt Greene
MayorsManor Lockout Radio with NHL goalie Marty Turco
For the full list of other guests who have joined us recently – including LA Kings Jeff Carter, Dwight King, Jordan Nolan, Monarchs coach Mark Morris, top prospect Tyler Toffoli, Jim Fox and dozens more – click here.
Thanks for listening!