It’s Friday, so it’s time for some college hockey. Three Kings’ prospects will be featured on TV tonight…
– First up, Derek Forbort and the University of North Dakota will be at Minnesota-Duluth (ranked third in the nation). That game can be seen on CBS College Sports at 5 pm PST (DirecTV 614). Forbort, who was injured while playing for Team USA at the recent World Junior tournament, returned to action two weeks ago. On the season, he has one goal and four assists in 20 games played – although the former first round pick is primarily a stay-at-home defenseman.
– Two hours later, NBC Sports Network (DirecTV 603) will air Nick Shore and the University of Denver hosting number-one ranked Minnesota. Selected by the Kings in the third round of last June’s NHL Draft, Shore was shut out last weekend after picking up three goals and seven assists in his previous 10 games. Overall, he has 24 points (7 goals, 17 assists) in 28 games played. Note: game two of the weekend series can be seen tomorrow night on a few of the FOX Sports regional channels.
– Wisconsin has the weekend off. They’ll be at Denver next weekend, which will be the third weekend in a row Badgers sophomore Michael Mersch faces off with a fellow Kings prospect. Taken by the Kings in the fourth round last June, Mersch has 22 points (10 goals, 12 assists) in 28 games.
– Kevin Gravel (fifth round, 2010) and St. Cloud State are also off this weekend. They’re coming of a huge two-game sweep of Wisconsin last weekend and they have plans for a playoff push. Gravel was a recent guest on MayorsManor, read what he had to say here.
– Freshman Joel Lowry (fifth round pick, 2011) and his Cornell teammates will host Brown tonight and then Yale tomorrow. Coming into the season, Yale hadn’t lost on home ice in over a year, until they were upset 6-2 by the boys of Big Red in November. Lowry’s first two NCAA goals were scored in that game and he’s added three more over the course of the season.
For interviews regarding the above players, please see the links below.