It’s time to close the book on what was a more than disappointing game for the Kings last night in Dallas. Leading 2-1 with less than three minutes to go, Ethan Moreau took a slashing penalty. Near the end of his time in the box, Jamie Benn scored to even things up. Then, Steve Ott scored the game winner in overtime. Here are 10 other tidbits from the contest…
– Mike Richards put the Kings on the board first. He’s now scored in five straight, has six goals in the last five games and eight goals in the last eight games.
– From NHL.com: “L.A. made it 2-0 just 36 seconds later when Kevin Westgarth blistered a wrister from 50 feet to the right of Lehtonen for his first goal of the season at 5:29.” It was game number 73 for Westgarth in the NHL.
– Both franchises joined the league as part of the Second Six expansion in 1967. The win by the Stars was their 100th regular season victory over the Kings. The only team they have more wins against is the Detroit Red Wings (101).
– The crown jersey (aka the ‘alternate’ jersey) is now 2-2 on the year. It will see action next on December 8th. However, the two road games this week were the only times it will be worn away from Staples Center this season.
– Willie Mitchell led LA with four blocked shots.
– Where have the shots gone? LA had 24 shots on goal in this game, 28 against St. Louis the night before and 24 on Saturday vs. Detroit. In the six games prior, they averaged over 33 SOG.
– The three stars of the game were: Ott (one), Benn (two), Loui Eriksson (there)
If you missed the game or just want to relive it again, click here for the video highlights.
Westgarth goes from ‘stewing in his juices’ and into the line-up – he talks waiting game