In the 40-plus year history of the Los Angeles Kings franchise, there have been some pretty big trades. Obviously, none bigger than a deal that went down in August 1988 with the Edmonton Oilers.
However, several moves since then have also created some earthquake like tremors within the LA hockey community. For example, just before the Kings relocated to their new arena downtown in 1999, they traded away prized prospect Olli Jokinen in a package with the Islanders to land Ziggy Palffy.
A few years later, the most controversial trade (by far) saw future Hall of Famer Rob Blake shipped out to the Colorado Avalanche.
Since then, deals to acquire Roman Cechmanek (2003), Jeremy Roenick (2005), Jack Johnson (2006), Ryan Smyth (2009) and Dustin Penner (2011) have been some of the bigger moves. [Ironically, the two trades on that list that worked out the worst for the Kings were both made with the Flyers.]
Yet, it’s been a long time since the Kings were involved in something that sent shockwaves through the NHL like this summer’s blockbuster deal to bring Philadelphia captain Mike Richards to LA in exchange for Wayne Simmonds and the number one rated prospect in all of hockey, Brayden Schenn.
In a game that fans on both coasts immediately circled on their calenders moments later, the Kings will meet up with the Flyers later this afternoon for the only time this season. In honor of what should be a near-playoff like atmosphere, here’s a look back at ten of the most popular articles posted on MayorsManor stemming from the trade and a few more about the players involved…
– Mike Richards already has ideas to help the LA Kings power play
– Ian Laperriere on the Mike Richards – Chris Pronger feud in Philadelphia
– Mike Richards – ‘Ian Laperriere helped guide me in the right direction’
– Murray says Simmonds ‘hit a wall’ this season
– Interview with hockey’s #1 prospect Brayden Schenn
– Mike Richards talks leadership and wearing a letter in LA
– Mike Richards on Corey Perry and not doing stupid things
– Dustin Brown on the off-ice value of Mike Richards
– Simon Gagne – ‘Mike Richards is the type of guy I want on my team’
– Mitchell and Richards admit to budding bro-mance in training camp
– Mike Richards moves from Philly teacher to LA student
– Wayne Simmonds, born for playoff hockey
Later this afternoon, we’ll be posting new comments from Kyle Clifford about the possibility of squaring off with his old linemate tonight. Is a Clifford-Simmonds scrap likely to take place?