“Made the playoffs…. Now time to get home ice!” – Dustin Brown’s tweet after the game.
No need for a fancy press conference or long extended quotes from the team captain. That statement says it all.
The Kings have been a very workman like group this year. There isn’t a flashy superstar carrying the load offensively or a Norris Trophy worthy season being played on the blueline.
It’s been a team game, supported by (for the most part) excellent goaltending.
Make the playoffs – check. Now, next on the list, hold onto home ice.
Here are a few post-game notes and the video highlights from last night’s 3-2 shootout win over the Phoenix Coyotes…
* In an appropriate tie-in to the theme of the night, the working man’s hero, Kyle Clifford, scored a goal and was the first star of the game.
* Jonathan Quick is now 10-0 in the shootout this season. Unreal.
* As noted before the game, ‘Yotes goalie Ilya Bryzgalov was 7-2-2 at Staples Center, with a 1.92 goals-against-average. And he did everything in his power to get another ‘W’ – the Kings just weren’t having it.
* Jarret Stoll is now converted nine of 10 chances shootouts this season. Unstoppable.
* Lee Stempniak scored his 19th goal of the year for Phoenix in the first period. Seven of them have been against the Kings. SEVEN!
* The win was the team’s 46th of the season, tying the franchise record (accomplished twice: 1990-91 and 2009-10). With two games to go, can they break it?
* Shootouts, shutouts and everything in between – the results varied over the six-game season series between LA and Phoenix – however, one thing was a constant. The team that scored first won each time.
Now, enjoy some video highlights…
“We can take a deep breath and breathe out, but we got two big games ahead of us,” coach Terry Murray said following the shootout.
He could have just as easily said, ‘Pack a sandwich and grab your lunch pails. You’re going back to work on Friday – for a double shift.’
More from practice later today.
Pre-Game Notes – Kings Players on the ‘Other’ Trap Game
Jeremy Roenick Previews Kings vs. Coyotes – April 6, 2011
Westgarth, Clifford and Biz Nasty – the story explained
Kings-Coyotes Preview with Eric Belanger – talking memories of LA, teeth pulling and more
Tyson Nash Previews Kings vs Coyotes – includes word association and player evaluations