After all the pomp and circumstance surrounding the Kings-Flyers tilt earlier on this road trip, now Justin Williams gets to visit one of his other former teams, the Carolina Hurricanes – where he won a Stanley Cup in 2006. For the rest of his L.A. teammates, this is likely just another one of those annoying early in the afternoon games the NHL loves to schedule at the start of the season. Regardless, we have a few tidbits that will make you sound smart while watching the action on TV or hanging out at a sports bar somewhere…
Five Things You May Not Have Known about the Carolina Hurricanes :
1. Eric Staal is the oldest of the Staal brothers, which includes teammates Jordan and Jared (currently playing for the Charlotte Checkers/AHL) and Marc, who plays for the Rangers.
2. Brody Sutter is the son of Duane Sutter. He is the third family member to play for the Hurricanes joining Brandon and Brett.
3. Tim Gleason was a first round draft pick (2011, 23rd overall) by the Ottawa Senators. He never played for the Senators though, as he was traded to Los Angeles in 2003 for Bryan Smolinski. In his two seasons with the Kings he recorded two goals and 26 assists.
4. Jeff Skinner is the youngest player (age 18) to play in an NHL All Star Game, as well as the youngest of all the four major sports. He is the first 18 year old since Tom Barrasso in 1983-84 to win the NHL Rookie of the Year award.
5. Nathan Gerbe is currently the smallest player in the NHL, listed at 5-foot-5. In 2008, he was named the Frozen Four, Most Outstanding Player scoring five goals in two games for Boston College.
Note to webmasters/reporters: When recapping news or interviews from this site please remember to include a link to www.MayorsManor.com