Earlier this summer we kicked off a new series here on MayorsManor, where we allowed several of the Kings draft picks to offer some Peer Evaluations on other LA prospects they had played against. In the first edition we focused on guys with recent college hockey experience. Now, with Rookie Camp just a week away, we turn to the Ontario Hockey League.
Since 2006, it’s been one of the most fertile junior circuits for Dean Lombardi and his staff of scouts. Among the list of more than 15 OHL players selected during that time include Kyle Clifford, Drew Doughty, Jordan Nolan, Tanner Pearson and Tyler Toffoli.
Just a few months ago, three of LA’s seven selections at the 2013 NHL Draft came from the OHL as well.
Mentioned in the conversations below were:
Justin Auger – forward, Guelph Storm – fourth round pick in 2013
Nick Ebert – defenseman, Windsor Spitfires – seventh round pick in 2012
Dominik Kubalik – left wing, Sudbury Wolves – seventh round pick in 2013
Zac Leslie – defenseman, Guelph Storm – sixth round pick in 2013
Kurtis MacDermid – defenseman, Owen Sound Attack – free agent signing in 2012
Colin Miller – defenseman, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds – sixth round pick in 2012
Comments on Justin Auger
– from Ebert: “He’s a huge guy, I think he’s 6-foot-6 or something like that. He’s definitely a tough guy to battle with in the corners and in front of the net. I know that he has some speed for a big guy too. He’s definitely somebody you remember because of how big he is on the skates. That’s for sure.”
– from MacDermid: “He’s a very big guy, a power forward. He’s tough to play against because he uses his reach pretty well and he’s pretty good in the corners. Overall, he’s pretty effective in the offensive end.”
Comments on Nick Ebert
– from Leslie: “He’s a dynamic defenseman, I think. We played Windsor four times. He got a lot of ice time this year with the team they had, and I think he used it to his advantage. He’s a big defenseman that can really skate with the puck and can really shoot it, too.”
– from MacDermid: “More of a skilled two-way defenseman. He logged a lot of minutes for Windsor. They had a tough year this year but he’s a great player, as well.”
Comments on Dominik Kubalik
– from Ebert: “I didn’t really see him too much this year because we only played Sudbury twice. From what I can remember, I think he’s a smaller guy, more of a skilled guy. He was pretty shifty on open ice.”
– from Leslie: “We only played Sudbury twice during our OHL season, so we didn’t see much of him. But, he’s a skilled forward for sure. From what I know he’s a guy who makes other players around him better.”
– from MacDermid: “I only saw him a couple times this year. He’s a quick forward with a good shot and plays the body pretty well too. I think that sums him up pretty good.”
Comments on Zac Leslie
– from Auger, his teammate in Guelph: “He’s a great guy. We actually knew each other before we even came to Guelph. We both have the same agent and we did a camp together in Ottawa. I actually billeted at his house for a week and we did that back-to-back summers. Then after that, we were both drafted to Guelph. Neither of us played our 16-year-old year, but our 17-year-old year we both played. He’s a great guy and we’re good friends off the ice, so we hang out a lot.”
– from Ebert: “Solid defender. He’s very good in his own zone, takes care of the puck there. He has a bit of an offensive flare to him too. Good all around player.”
– from MacDermid: “He’s a puck-moving defenseman. Plays the power play, pretty skilled, makes really good passes.”
Comments on Colin Miller
– from MacDermid: “Another puck-moving defenseman. He’s one of the big guns on their power play at the back-end. He’s a pretty good player as well.”
– from Leslie: “He was up for the leadership award this year in the OHL. He lead their team basically from out of the gutter back up to having the best record the last half of the year… He’s a great leader and he put up a lot of points, too.”
We also did in-depth interviews with several of the prospects in this article, see the links below for specific players.
Note to webmasters/reporters: When recapping news or interviews from this site please include a link to www.MayorsManor.com