In 2010 LA Kings GM Dean Lombardi used his fifth round pick to select defenseman Kevin Gravel, who was coming out of the USHL and headed to St. Cloud State University in the fall.
The year prior, LA’s GM had used a seventh round pick to nab forward Nic Dowd, who was headed to the USHL for one season before also moving on the St. Cloud State.
On Sunday, Lombardi went after one of their teammates. Passed over twice before in the NHL Draft, Jonny Brodzinski finally got to hear his name called when the Kings selected him in the fifth round. He was coming off a big freshman year with the Huskies, where his 22 goals led the team and tied him for the fifth most in NCAA hockey.
Some additional tidbits…
– Like his two teammates at SCSU, Brodzinski also spent time in the USHL before going to college – he was the Fargo Force from 2010-12. A few current LA Kings players are USHL alumni as well – including Matt Greene and Trevor Lewis.
– He also lettered in gold while in high school.
– On the ice, the 6-foot center has a left shot.
– He had three goals against North Dakota this year and a pair vs. Wisconsin. So, perhaps fellow Kings prospects Derek Forbort and Michael Mersch have a thought or two about him. (We’ll have to check into that later)
– Led all NCAA players with a plus-28 rating.
– Of his 22 goals, only one was on the power play.
– In a game against Colorado College in March an opponent’s skate blade cut his ear, requiring 17 stitches. The even scarier part of the story is the doctor told him it was about one centimeter from cutting his jugular. Story here.
– His father also played at SCSU, under legendary hockey coach Herb Brooks.
– Brother Michael was also selected at the 2013 Draft, taken seven picks earlier by the San Jose Sharks.
– MayorsManor source who covers WCHA hockey when we asked about Brodzinski: “Biggest thing you notice with him is that he can absolutely shoot the puck. Very impressive shot.”
Profile created by a student at SCSU:
Video highlights of a two-goal game vs. North Dakota this season:
According to an old Fargo Force video, he was a Detroit Red Wings fan growing up…but, the best part is when asked for one word to describe himself he said ‘phenomenal':
For more on other LA Kings picks at the 2013 NHL Draft, please see the links below.
Note to webmasters/reporters: When recapping news or interviews from this site please include a link to www.MayorsManor.com