While it’s true, the lockout won’t officially end until the new CBA is formalized and approved by both the NHL and NHLPA, nearly all involved expect that to be a formality. So, people were reacting on Sunday as if, well, the lockout was over.
With that in mind, we checked in with a few players and asked for some fan reaction too…
“I’m very excited to resume NHL action and begin our title defense in LA,” began defenseman Alec Martinez. “I’d also like to extend a big thank you to all the fans who stuck with us throughout this entire process and hope they are as excited as we are to get back on the ice!’
“I’m ecstatic to be employed once again and eagerly await the start of the new season and a chance at defending our cities title for the fans,” said forward Dustin Penner – before adding, “Go Kings Go!”
“Super excited to get started again,” Colin Fraser told MayorsManor. “It seems like forever since we last played. I can’t wait for home opener and to see the banner raised!”
Fraser went on to say he was very thankful to Kevin Westgarth (the Kings’ player rep with the union) and all the guys who spent countless hours in conference rooms and boardrooms over the last few months to get the deal done and bring hockey back.
Other players also added some thoughts via their personal twitter accounts.
Kings captain Dustin Brown started with a tweet that simply read, “Finally” – but later added tweets thanking the ZSC Lions and their fans for letting him play in Switzerland during the lockout.
Trevor Lewis, who’s been playing in the ECHL for the last two weeks, posted:
Excited to get back at it! And thank you to the fans who supported us and will continue to support us! #herewego
— trevor lewis (@trevorlewis22) January 6, 2013
— Kevin Westgarth (@KWesty19) January 6, 2013
Earlier in the day we also posted a ‘fill in the blank’ question on our twitter and facebook pages, asking fans to complete this statement – ‘The thing I’ll miss most about the NHL lockout is __________.’
Most of the replies were along the lines of ‘nothing.’ People are clearly ready for the league to just drop the puck.
However, here’s a dozen of the funnier responses…
– I’m not gonna miss a thing, but my boyfriend is gonna miss ME & control of the remote.
– Hearing “Today is the most important day of the negotiations.”
– All the stuff I got done around the house…not happening for the next six months!
– Coming home from work, turning on the TV, seeing the Lakers suck it up, turn it off, and read a book.
– The fights between Walsh and Dreger.
– Tweets I couldn’t understand from other countries.
– NHL network having to repeat Kings playoff games.
– Ontario Reign road games in Vegas.
– Paul Bissonnette’s “Dudes passed out in Europe” Instagram series.
– Watching the foggy KHL games online.
– Spending time with family. See you in the summer kids!
If you missed last night’s article about the schedule and how things might come together for the Kings, click here to see what we posted.
Note to webmasters/reporters: When recapping news or interviews from this site please include a link to www.MayorsManor.com