The following report was filed for MayorsManor by Scott Coffman…
A fast start followed by a continual onslaught of offense propelled the Ontario Reign to their sixth straight win Wednesday night, an 8-1 drubbing of the expansion San Francisco Bulls.
Right wing Dan DaSilva opened the scoring just 6:26 into the first period, giving the Reign an early 1-0 lead. It was his fifth goal of the year. He later added an assist and a fight, giving him a Gordie Howe hat trick.
Mario Lamoureux had a regular hat trick, captain Derek Couture posted four points (one goal, three assists) and Minnesota Wild forward Devin Setoguchi buried his third goal in three games since signing with the Reign. Rounding out the scoring for Ontario were CJ Stretch and Colton Yellow Horn – who notched his team leading ninth goal of the season.
LA Kings goaltending prospect JF Berube, who earned a shutout vs. the Bulls last Saturday in San Francisco, earned his fifth win of the season after stopping 26 of the 27 shots he faced.
With their tenth win, the Reign remain atop the ECHL’s Pacific Division standings. This was Ontario’s fourth game against San Francisco and they’re undefeated in those four games.
Post-game quotes complied by John Hoven…
– Coach Jason Christie on the Reign players dominating fights that took place on three consecutive faceoffs in the third period – “It’s never been a concern of ours. They have a good hockey team over there – tough players, tough to play against. But, that’s one thing about our team, they kinda stick together. I like how they stood up for themselves. They (the Bulls) tried it the other night, but we just turned the cheek. Tonight was good to see, but the two points was the biggest thing.”
– Berube on his 26 saves – “They (San Francisco) had a few good chances. But, most of their shots were routine saves from the outside or close plays. I’ll take it again.”
– Berube on his beautiful glove save early in the game, with the game scoreless and San Francisco on the power-play – “I think it really put me into the game. If I didn’t make that save I think the guys would have maybe been a little more on their heels. But, they played really well again tonight and were dominant!”
– Berube on his concentration level during a blowout game – “When you see that your team is dominating you don’t want to let your opponent come back into the game by giving up a weak goal. That can really chance momentum – like we saw the first time we played the Bulls at the beginning of the season. They were winning 4-1 and we came back to win. It all started with one goal.”
– Berube on the opposition – “I feel really bad for their goalie. There were some great goals tonight and I don’t think there’s much more he could have done.”
Now from some photos courtesy of MayorsManor photog David Sheehan…