There are many guesses on how to fix the LA Kings right now. However, the final verdict on if the coaching change will be the thing to do the trick won’t be known for several months.
In the meantime, message boards and social media outlets continue to be a haven for conspiracy theories, including ‘The Curse of the Gretzky Statue’ and the absence of Heidi Androl.
Here’s a quick spin around the twitterverse from earlier today…
- @Lemay_C has a good memory, recalling something that took place when the ice was installed at Staples Center this season, saying ‘I think it’s obviously that 2002 penny that Luc has planted at center ice. Red Wings memories jinxing team.’
Solution: Dig up the pennies.
- @TheRealFakeTim has a much longer memory, adding ‘I still think the “curse” goes 2 when McSorley started helping out on the broadcast last playoffs. #IllegalStick #LAKings’
Solution: Don’t invite Marty back.
- @Project_305 said ‘I blame the hype and pressure of acquiring Richie and Gagne and locking up Drew…”Flyers West” they called us’
Solution: Acquire another Oilers player and go back to calling the Kings ‘Oilers South.’
- @karenberan couldn’t pick just one thing, saying ‘Two month post-Europe Hangover!…It’s the Randy Jones Curse – it’s ALWAYS his fault!…It’s the Dan Cloutier Curse – It’s ALWAYS his fault too!’
Solution: No more trips to Europe on the books and Dean has promised to not bring back Cloutier or Jones (at least for the rest of this season).
Solution: None needed.
- @TheBig_F said ‘All the blame goes to the new uniforms #ForumBlueAndGoldForever’
Solution: Not sure that’s the problem. What about the losses in the alternate and vintage jerseys?
- @jnovak45 said ‘Richards shaved his stache after tweeting about being superstitious about shaving it’
[something we noted here, both Mike Richards and Willie Mitchell were hurt in their very game following them first saying they might keep the 'stache, only to change their mind and shave it off...coincidence?]
- @SaskCanKingsFan agreed, adding ‘the Kings have lost 5 straight because the guys all shaved their Movember staches. Clearly they were lucky!’
Solution: All Kings players must immediately grow mustaches, even you Clifford.
- @Kingsme19 said ‘I moved my furniture around and they haven’t won since! #notsittinginmyluckyspot’
Solution: Move it back. What have you been waiting for?
- @GauzePaws said ‘I think the home slump starts with them not playing Wolfmother “Joker and the Thief” / Muse “Uprising” during warmups.’
Solution: Tweet @LAKingsGameEnt and demand they bring it back next week. Not sure that will help on the next three road games though.
- @Sben88 said ‘Because @thefourthperiod visited la’
- the point was shared by @tsbilek, who said ‘I blame the 4th period guys from the east coming west.’
Solution: All future trips to LA have been put on hold.
- @jlock4820 said ‘I am going with the decision to start Bernier after Quick’s 3 cons. shutouts. They were 5-1 at that point and have gone 8-13 since’
Solution: Start Quick in all of the remaining 52 games? Or only start Bernier after Quick loses a game. Take your pick.
- @aries83861 said ‘they are getting the end of season slump out of the way now, so they can make a run at the playoffs’
Solution: None needed, the Kings are making the playoffs!
Then, logic started entering the situation when @habsgirl4life offered ‘It’s a cycle. They lack confidence and they’re missing guys. I have faith they’ll get back on track.’
And finally, leave it to @SebastianKrys to pipe in with this gem – ‘Softer team. Simmonds, Handzus, Smyth were hard to play against. That hasn’t been replaced.’
Take your pick. Is the answer one of the above, a mixture of a few of them or something entirely different?
Willie Mitchell on the possibility of shaving his stache – plus comments on Doughty’s lip hair
Kings at Sharks pregame primer with Marty McSorley – November 2011