Los Angeles Kings center Jarret Stoll was the definition of ‘money’ in the shootout last year, scoring on nine of 10 chances. Tonight, he sat on the bench and watched as the Kings were defeated 2-1 by the Devils in New Jersey.
– Gagne scored the lone goal for the Kings at 1:47 of the first period, his first with his new club.
– Dustin Brown led all Kings with five shots on goal. Rob Scuderi had four shots.
– Drew Doughty played 27:02, more than any other King. However, Kovalchuk topped all skaters in the game with 29:37 of total ice time.
– Ethan Moreau continued to be a physical force for the Kings, leading the team with four hits. Yet, for the second game in a row, Brown was not credited with any hits.
– The Kings again struggled in the faceoff circles, only winning 48% of the draws vs. the Devils (22 of 48). Kopitar won four of the 16 draws he took (25%).
Video highlights are after the jump.
Pre-game article #1: What to look for during Kings v Devils
Pre-game article #2: Willie Mitchell talks about his past in New Jersey and possible future in LA
Pre-game article #3: Barry Melrose gives Kopitar the ‘Mullet of the Week’ award