After a week long stay in Europe, the Kings will now return to the U.S. sporting a 1-1 record. They lost to the Buffalo Sabres 4-3 in Berlin, Germany earlier today. Here are some post-games notes and video highlights.
- Anze Kopitar scored both of the Kings goals, he now has three total on the young season.
- Jonathan Bernier is now 0-2 vs. the Sabres in his career. Ironically, he gave up four goals in both games.
- Math with Jack: Jack Johnson was one the ice for four of the goals scored in the game – Buffalo’s second and third goals, plus both of LA’s goals. Because Kopitar’s first goal was on the power play, Johnson finished the night with a minus-1.
- Johnson and Alec Martinez were each credited with four blocked shots. Kopitar had three.
- Parse Watch Continues: Scott Parse had 17 shifts in 12:06 of total ice time, no shots on goal.
- The Kings outshot the Sabres 33-26. Kopitar led all Kings with five shots on goal, four each for Mike Richards and Justin Williams.
- Doughty’s 28:45 of ice time was again (like yesterday) nearly five minutes more than the next player on the Kings, Kopitar with 24:34.
- Three stars of the game: Luke Adam (#1), Thomas Vanek (#2), Kopitar (#3). Adam scored Buffalo’s first two goals and was the AHL rookie of the year last season, making him a viable Calder candidate this year in the NHL.
- Video highlights, courtesy of the NHL…
If you missed the pre-game notes – which featured quotes from Kopitar, Doughty, Simon Gagne, Willie Mitchell and more – click here.
Also, if you haven’t voted in the poll yet – click here to register where you think the Kings will finish in the standings this season.