|LA Kings Alec Martinez (photo: D. Sheehan)|
A few weeks back we published an article highlighting some of the various activities some of the Los Angeles Kings players have been involved in this summer.
Here’s the latest in our summer vacation series – highlights from a conversation with defenseman Alec Martinez…
- On what he’s been up to this summer: “I’ve been doing a lot of working out – trying to stay in shape, get better. Things like that. Taking some time off to relax as well, being able to go on vacation once the season was over. It’s been a good summer, relaxing. But at the same time, I’ve been getting after it – just getting ready for this upcoming season.”
- On the two-year contract extension he signed last month: “It was really exciting. Obviously, I love playing here in LA. I love the city, the fans and everything about it. To be locked in here for two more years is good. I’m excited about it. I think the team has a lot of potential and hopefully we’ll follow through with it.”
- His involvement in contract negotiations with the team: “You kind of let your agent do the work. That’s what you pay them for. I didn’t really deal with it too much. I (received) an update every once and a while. The communication process is an ongoing thing. Management does a good job of communicating with the players too – keeping us posted on what they expect from us and also, us letting them know what we expect from ourselves.”
- On how often he’s talked to coach Terry Murray this summer: “You have to give them a bit of a break too. You don’t want to be knocking on coach’s door in the summertime. But, I’ve had conversations with (assistant coach) John Stevens quite a few times this summer. Just talking about certain things that help get you mentally prepared and things to think about for the (upcoming) season.”
- On the Kings adding Mike Richards and Simon Gagne: “I spoke with John (Stevens) about it, just because he was the Philly organization and familiar with those two guys. Obviously they’re both really great players and good additions to the organization. So, I think everyone is excited about it.”
Just over a month to go. It gets a little closer each day.
To see what Martinez and Stoll had to say about the Kings sending Wayne Simmonds to the Philadelphia Flyers, click here. Down below there are also links to other Martinez related articles here on MayorsManor.