It was a night of ‘Oh yeah, that’s happened before.’
* On December 27, 2010 the Kings beat the Sharks in San Jose by a score of 4-0. Ditto last night.
* Last year vs. the Canucks, the Kings lost game one of their opening round series with Vancouver and then won the second game to even the series 1-1. Same thing here.
* Also during last year’s playoffs, Drew Doughty had a four point night. He did it again vs. the Sharks on Saturday with two goals and two assists.
* Jonathan Quick shutout the Sharks. Five other Kings goalies had turned that trick in the playoffs, most recently – Felix Potvin in 2002 vs. Colorado (in a series the Kings should have won, but more on that some other day).
* Last year in game two vs. Vancouver, Wayne Simmonds scored a goal in only his second NHL playoff game. Saturday vs. the Sharks, Kyle Clifford matched the accomplishment when he found the back of the net early in the third period.
And a few other post-game notes…
* Prior to the season starting Jack Johnson said his best game versus the Sharks was still yet to come (article here). After picking up a goal and and assist last night, guess he was right.
* Two more power play goals for the Kings? What’s gotten into these guys?
Coming up later this afternoon on MayorsManor – Jim Fox returns with his highs and lows from game two. Plus, he fills us in on what was up with all that scruff on his face during last night’s broadcast.
For now, enjoy a different view of the game, courtesy of the Sharks’ video feed…
Three Stars: Doughty (1st), Quick (2nd) and Johnson (3rd).