|Rick Nash Bobblehead|
Today marks the fourth and final meeting between the Kings and Blue Jackets, two teams heading in opposite directions since they met up on January 8th – Trevor Lewis’ birthday.
Back then LA was mired in a horrible slump at home and stuck at 12th place in the standings. Since then, the Kings have found their groove – including a win in Columbus during their 6-1-3 February road stretch.
Here are some other key points to get you warmed up…
* There must be something about Rick Nash and the Kings visiting town. Last time it was Nash poster night. Tonight they’ll be giving out Nash bobbleheads (pictured) to the fans attending the game.
* Several Kings players – including Jack Johnson and Brad Richardson – shared some thoughts on Nash in a MayorsManor article here. Jarret Stoll said “You have to play him hard. You can’t give him too much time and space. You need to be physical on him and you can’t respect him too much. Obviously, you have to respect him a little bit. But, if you respect good players too much, by the end of the night they’ll have three points.” Click the link to read more.
* Former Oilers captain Ethan Moreau was claimed on waivers by the Blue Jackets over the summer. It’s been an up and down season for him, including several injuries. However, he’s back playing now and looking to finish the year strong. To check out his thoughts on Chris Pronger, Chris Chelios, Bob Probert, head shots in the league, Dany Heatley, doing a near nude photo shoot for ESPN (including a sample) and much more click here to read his MayorsManor interview.
* Scottie Upshall was recently traded to the Blue Jackets – it’s something Tyson Nash talked about in his recent MayorsManor interview (available here). Note – he also talks about Eric Belanger, Ray Whitney, playing in Japan and we do a word association segment.
* Kevin Westgarth will be back in the line-up for the Kings, after sitting out Monday’s game vs. Detroit. Of his 11 fights this season, only three have been against Western Conference opponents (Chicago, Phoenix and Colorado).
* Kyle Clifford has 14 fights this season, with – ironically – 11 of them coming against the West. Included in that number is a scrap with Derek Dorsett of the Blue Jackets on January 8th. Click here to watch The Colonel smash the more seasoned Dorsett.
* Clifford and Westgarth will be skating alongside Trevor Lewis. A few days ago coach Terry Murray spoke about Lewis – specifically discussing if he’s become the forgotten King this season – in a MayorsManor interview here.
* Jonathan Bernier will get the start in net - which may be a good thing if you read what he had to say in the ‘Clearing the Crease with Bernier’ interview / article here.
* Dustin Penner has 14 points (7 goals, 7 assists) in 20 career games vs. the Blue Jackets. Exactly half of those games (10) have been played in Columbus, where he’s scored four goals – with the last one coming during his most recent visit to Ohio in early February.
* Jack Johnson needs two points to reach 100 for his NHL career.
As you probably know, the game will be tape delayed in Los Angeles – starting at 7:30pm PST on Prime Ticket.
How Can the Kings Get Back on Track? – exclusive players comments on what’s needed
Interview with Ethan Moreau – former Oilers captain, now with the Blue Jackets