Too many home games lately, not enough time to keep up with all the Kings related news going on? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Here’s a quick overview of the ten things you need to know – including a few trade rumors, when Schenn will play again, goaltending notes and more…
* Kitsyn vs. Toffoli – Two of the Kings top prospects were scheduled to faceoff today in what looked like a showdown in the making. Instead, it was a beatdown. Tyler Toffoli (Ottawa 67′s) came into the game riding a 25 game point streak. His team lost 6-1 without him picking up a point and he was minus-4 to make it hurt even more. Maxim Kitsyn had an assist in the game, pushing his totals to seven points (3g, 4a) in five games since coming to the OHL.
* Rumors continue to swirl around Dustin Penner possibly being targeted by the Kings. Why? He’s not a good fit on this team. There are plenty of better options at left wing. Unfortunately, Ryan Malone (Tampa Bay) is probably not one of them. Word is, he doesn’t want to waive his no trade clause.
* Speaking of trades, two notes on Brayden Schenn. First off, as you may have heard, he was traded by his last place junior team (Brandon Wheat Kings) to the WHL leading Saskatoon Blades (his hometown team). However, due to a shoulder injury he sustained at the recent World Junior Championship in Buffalo, he has yet to make his debut with the new team. Barring a setback, it looks like that first game will now take place on January 22 vs. the Calgary Hitmen.
* Schenn Part Deux – Although Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke has been clamoring to get Schenn to Toronto to join his brother Luke, Kings GM Dean Lombardi told at least one source this week that he has no intentions of trading Schenn (Kings first round pick, 2009) to the Leafs or any other team. Still, with the NHL Trade Deadline more than a month away, you can expect the rumor mongers to continue throwing his name into the mix.
* Right Wing Linden Vey (Kings fourth round pick, 2009) of the Medicine Hat Tigers continues to lead the WHL in scoring. He picked up two goals and two assists last night vs. the Kelowna Rockets. Like Toffoli, it’s still a bit surprising he was cut from the Team Canada squad prior to this year’s WJC.
* Several members of the Kings family had birthdays this week, including defenseman Jack Johnson, forward Kyle Clifford, former goalie Kelly Hrudey and playoff hero Daryl Evans. Many current players weighed in with gift ideas for Johnson here. The best answer had to be from Matt Greene. Looking ahead, Jonathan Quick has a birthday next Friday.
* Quick again – how did he not make the NHL All-Star team? It’s now been 36 years since a Kings’ goaltender started the game – a point explored in this article.
* Kings’ 2010 first round pick Derek Forbort stopped by on Friday to talk about winning the bronze medal with Team USA at the WJC and his return to the University of North Dakota. Read his comments here.
* With the season now half over, here are midpoint reflections from the Kings’ forwards (Ryan Smyth, Wayne Simmonds, Jarret Stoll, etc.), defensemen (including Johnson and Drew Doughty) and coach Murray.
And now you’re caught up.
Kings vs Leafs – When Mullets Were Cool (most popular article of the week)