Still living in the euphoria of the Kings victory over the Coyotes on Saturday night?
Well, it’s time to check back in with the hockey world and get up to speed. Here are the ten Kings-related stories you need to know coming out of the weekend…
* The Kings play the Bruins tonight. Nearly one year ago they visited Staples Center for an afternoon tilt that went all the way to a shootout. Quick stopped everything and the Kings won. Marco Sturm missed that game for the Bruins and he’ll miss tonight’s game for the Kings.
* Sticking with the Boston-area theme, the Kings are marketing the game as Beanpot Night. If you’re not familiar with the annual Boston-area event, it’s one of the top college hockey tournaments and features Boston, Boston College, Harvard and Northeastern. For a closer look at BU vs. BC (including notes on the many Kings who have played on both sides of the best rivalry in college hockey), click here.
* Goaltender Jonathan Quick, who set several team records last season, was back to creating history again on Saturday. It was his 20th win of the season, making him only the third goalie in franchise history to reach the mark three years in a row. Full story here.
* More from the Kings-Coyotes series – Phoenix enforcer (and twitter sensation) Paul Bissonnette had some not-so-kind words about Kings rookie Kyle Clifford. The following day, Clifford and Kevin and Westgarth offered a rebuttal here.
* Even more – Coyotes captain Shane Doan won’t be going to the All-Star Game this coming weekend. However, he had some thoughts on Anze Kopitar being selected (story here).
* Speaking of All-Star games, the ECHL Classic will be this Wednesday in Bakersfield. If you aren’t going to the game, you can watch it on the NHL Network the following day at 11am PST. The Ontario Reign (Kings ECHL affiliate) will be represented by rookie center Aaron Lewadniuk. In 27 games this season, Lewadniuk has 12 points (8g, 4a).
* As you may recall, Brayden Schenn was traded by his junior team a few weeks ago. His debut with his new club had been delayed due to a shoulder injury sustained at the WJC. He’s back! Saturday night he played his first game for the Saskatoon Blades – story and pics here.
* For those into junior hockey and/or interested in seeing future NHL stars, set the DVR for this one – Friday night you can catch the Portland Winterhawks (one of the top teams in the WHL and they feature Nino Niederreiter, a superstar in the making…plus, they have three players that will probably be taken in the first round this year – Sven Bartschi, Ty Rattie and Joe Morrow) vs. the Tri-City Americans. The game will be broadcast live on Fox Sports, DirecTv channel 683.
* Kings defenseman Jack Johnson was excited for this weekend’s NFL Playoffs. See which teams he predicted would win here.
* Andrei Loktionov was called up from Manchester last week. He stopped by for a quick interview here, where he talks about playing left wing vs. center and provides a few updates on some of the Monarchs (Jake Muzzin, Colten Teubert, Martin Jones, etc.).
And now you’re caught up.