For all the Kings fans that had a busy weekend shopping for gifts, going to holiday parties, watching football, etc. – don’t worry. We’ve got you covered.
You should already know the score from last night’s game. So, in no particular order, here are the ten other things you need to know heading into the work week ahead…
* Kyle Clifford continues to impress and now the sponsors are taking notice. This week the rookie signed an agreement with Bauer to wear their equipment from head to toe. He was already using their skates and sticks – I guess you can now add gloves, helmet, etc.
* More on The Colonel - If you missed UFC’s pay-per-view card from Montreal by going to the Kings game instead Saturday night, you still got to see a great fight. Here’s video of Clifford destroying Brad Staubitz.
* Last night was defenseman Rob Scuderi‘s 400th NHL game. It was also his 100th game with the Kings. When Willie Mitchell returns to the line-up this week it will be his 600th NHL game. We’ll have more from Mitchell in an interview on Monday where he talks about reaching the milestone plus what he’s learned about the team while being on the sidelines the last few weeks.
* Jose Theodore – who made news in the summer of 2006 by dating Paris Hilton – previewed the Kings-Wild game right here on MayorsManor yesterday (link). One of the things he said was “I’ve played many years against Smitty (Ryan Smyth) and I played with him in Denver. So, I know he’s really good in front of the net, tipping pucks and stuff. He’s going to be in my face all night. But, that’s his game and he’s one of the best at it.” Prophetic.
* My favorite tweet immediately following Smyth’s goal came from Wild fan, who tweeted “Dang nabbit 2-2“. I didn’t even know people still talked like that in 2010…let alone would type it! That’s it – next time Michal Handzus scores I’m going to try and remember to tweet “golly gee.”
* There was a big college hockey game on yesterday – big, as in over 110,000 people. Jack Johnson had a bet on that Michigan-Michigan State tilt with a member of the Detroit Red Wings and he helped preview the event for us in an article here.
* For all you gamblers out there, take note. Over the last few games we’ve been hosting a ‘first goal’ contest on twitter. It’s simple to play, you respond to my tweet during warm-ups and RT with who you think will score the first Kings goal of the game (sample here). Last Saturday I took Kyle Clifford. He scored first in the next game. This past Thursday I took Dustin Brown. He scored first in Saturday’s game instead. Who did I take last night? Wayne Simmonds. So…cash in your cans and run to your nearest bookie. Take Simmer for first goal vs. Detroit on Monday. My tip to you, free of charge.
* Hockey Night in Canada presented their Saturday night games in 3D this week. Cool for the people that are into that sort of thing, I guess. I’m not wearing glasses to watch anything on TV though…ever.
* On Thursday the Kings will meet the St. Louis Blues for the first time this season. If you missed the news in the off-season, Dave Taylor left his job with the Dallas Stars to take over as the Blues’ Director of Player Personnel. Dave Taylor – St. Louis Blue. It just sounds wrong. By the way, Andy Murray had nothing but nice things to say about Taylor in an interview earlier this year – even though Taylor fired him in LA!
* Looking ahead to next weekend’s road games – Nashville has been piling up the injuries this season and now goaltender Pekka Rinne is out for a few weeks. On Sunday the Kings will rematch the Blackhawks, who downed them in LA 3-2 over Thanksgiving weekend. The ‘Hawks will be without Patrick Kane for sure and could be missing Marian Hossa too. No word yet on Kevin Westgarth’s plans to reintroduce himself to John Scott.
Did you know… Minnesota Wild forward Antti Miettinen also plays guitar in a band called ‘Cement?’ If not, now you do.
Bonus info - Yes, the Kings made a trade with Boston to acquire left wing Marco Sturm…pending an important physical, scheduled for Monday morning. The original MayorsManor article – featuring five points on the deal - can be found here. We’ll have an update to that piece tomorrow afternoon.
And now you’re caught up.