Only 256 players in NHL history have played in 1,000 games. Later tonight that number will increase by one when Ryan Smyth suits up for the Kings.
In honor of Rhyno’s accomplishment (or Smitty, or Captain Canada, or Captain California…or whatever you may call him), here are Five Fun Facts to get you primed for the game:
* He’s bookending the collection with the Kings. Game number one was back on January 22, 1995 when the Edmonton Oilers visited the Kings at the old Forum in Inglewood. Who knew all these years later he’d be playing in LA?
* In the 100-marker games (i.e. game #100, 200, 300, etc.) Smyth has an overall record of 5-3-1. He’s also currently riding a two game win streak, having beaten Pittsburgh in game #800 and Detroit in #900 – both games were when he was a member of the Colorado Avalanche.
* He’s never had more than one point in the marker games – three games with a single goal (#200 vs. New Jersey, #500 vs. Colorado and #700 vs. Columbus), three games with a single assist and was held scoreless in the other three.
* Excluding the three main cities he’s called home (Edmonton, Colorado and Los Angeles), in which building has he scored goals in most often? It’s a tie between Calgary and Vancouver, having scored 12 goals in each arena.
* Against all opponents, which team has he found the most success against? It’s also a tie. He’s put up 24 goals in his career when playing the Kings and Coyotes.
Long live the mullet.